You Sing, I Write: New Music Tuesday

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

New Music Tuesday

So I realize I've been slacking on the album reviews lately. I'm going to try my best to get at least one up every few weeks. We'll see how that goes. Just released today was singer/songwriter Jon Foreman of Switchfoot's first of four solo acoustic EP's, entitled Fall. I'm about to download it now and will hopefully get that review up by next week. There's actually a pretty cool offer on his website, jonforeman.com, where you can purchase all 4 EP's for $20 and receive a signed poster by him in the mail. I've read a lot of good reviews about his first EP so I can't wait to listen!

In the mean time, another great album released recently was Alicia Keys' fourth album, As I Am. My advice - go buy it! But if money is tight, (which I totally can relate to) I'm going to write up a review below so you can read it and decide for yourself.

Alicia Keys
As I Am
Release Date: Tuesday, November 13, 2007

As I Am
marks the fourth consecutive No. 1 album debut release on the Billboard chart for Alicia Keys. Being her third studio album, As I Am encompasses a complete and thorough artistic work. First single off the album, "No One," is already a hit on the airwaves and is only an example of the success this album will surely bring Keys. As I Am is filled with the classic R&B and soulful sound Keys is known for. Her vocals and keyboarding talents are showcased through the entirety of her album. From her slow, piano-playing instrumental intro track to her last song, "Sure Looks Good To Me," Keys' album comes full circle, a feat that not many artists can pull off.

While her album includes some slower ballads, it also offers many up-tempo songs such as "Wreckless Love," which has a faster beat to it and is reminiscent of older, classic Diana Ross songs. Another track, "Teenage Love Affair" is a moving, relatable story-book song of teenage love, telling tales in her lyrics that include secret meetings on fifth-floor staircases and writing love letters. Keys' second track on As I Am, "Go Ahead" showcases a very refreshing sound. The strong background beats accentuate her voice extremely well on this number.

While the album has its share of slower ballads, each has a varied style, keeping the listener tuned into the entire album from the first track to the very last. "Like You'll Never See Me Again" showcases Keys' soothing voice and has a classic, older R&B sound to it. "Lesson Learned" is a slower track, which features John Mayer. Mayer's background vocals accentuate the chorus well throughout the song. On the surface it's a very simple song, but when listening more intently to the lyrics and beats, this track has so much depth to it.

Best Songs:
"No One"
"Like You'll Never See Me Again"
"Lesson Learned"
"Teenage Love Affair"

No comments:

BlogPlay

Share your links easily.