You Sing, I Write: Girls Who Rock: Meet Vita Chambers

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Girls Who Rock: Meet Vita Chambers

Vita Chambers is an artist to watch. The 16-year-old singer hails from Barbados and is making her mark in the music scene with infectious singles, "Like Boom" and "Young Money." Be on the lookout for Chambers this summer on the Bamboozle Roadshow and Lilith Fair. But, before that, she'll be performing next Thursday at Girls Who Rock, a benefit concert hosted by She's the First. To learn more about Vita Chambers, read below and for all the details on Girls Who Rock, visit the Web site.

What first sparked your decision to pursue a career in music?
I knew it's what I wanted since I was a very little girl. It started with all the school plays I was in. I never cared which character I played, as long as I was singing the entire time I was happy. The more plays I did, the more I fell in love with performing!

What inspires you?
My fans, always. From reading their tweets to seeing them in the audience, everything about my fans is inspiring to me. They keep me going!

What are some of the obstacles you've faced? How did you overcome them? 
Not being able to be in a normal high school setting has been difficult. I definitely miss being able to fool around in class with my friends. But my tutor is chill so he makes up for it! When I'm faced with an obstacle, I'm a glass half full kinda girl. I try to always have a positive outlook on life no matter what.

What's your songwriting process?
Honestly, I don't really have a formula! I carry around a little journal with me and when ideas pop into my head I jot them down. At the end of the day I review my notes and try to make sense of them through a song.

What was your favorite subject to learn in school, besides music?
My favorite subject in school has always been biology! I can't explain why, it's just all cool to me.

What were you the first to do or what will you be the first to do?
I will be the first 16 year old musician to use my music to stress the importance of educating girls all over the world.

What the next big thing happening in your career?
I'll be touring on the Bamboozle Roadshow. I've already done some shows and its been so much fun! I'm one of the only girl acts so I've been hanging out with all guys the entire time, its great!

What's your favorite "girl power" song?

"Just a Girl" by No Doubt.

Why did you decide to get involved with She's the First?
There are three things that have always been very important to me; Giving back, education and girl power. These are the exact three things that define She's the First. It's an amazing campaign with a message that I will always back up. Every girl in the world deserves an education.

1 comment:

Monica said...

Can't wait to see the lineup!!

BlogPlay

Share your links easily.