You Sing, I Write: Blast From the Past: Q&A with Baby Jay

Saturday, February 7, 2009

Blast From the Past: Q&A with Baby Jay

Last year Tammy, my friend and editor of Misquincemag.com, was launching a Web site that focused on teens and preparing for their quinceañera. She asked if I'd be willing to help out and interview a 16-year-old rapper who has been making a major impact in the rap world. Truly an inspiration to others, I couldn't say no! Read below for my interview with Baby Jay.

Have you been to many quinces?
I’ve been to and performed at a few. Once I was the chambelán of honor for my cousin’s quinceañera. At first, I was nervous — all eyes are on you and the quinceañera. But once we started dancing, the nerves went away. It’s kind of the same feeling I get when I perform in front of large crowds.

Has anything funny every happened at a quinceañera you went to?
I think it’s funny and cute to look at pictures of the quinceañera that are shown on the projector, 'cause some of the photos are from when she was a baby and the guests laugh.

Is it true that you answer all your MySpace messages?

Yes, I do it every day. I gotta keep the fans. If it wasn’t for them, I wouldn’t be here. I love my fans.

How would you describe your music to someone who has never heard it before?
I would describe it as positive. It’s good music but it’s not cheesy. We have different songs about non-violence, saying no to drugs, and anti-bullying. I just want to change rap by proving we can still be good rappers by keeping it real, and keeping it clean. People will see rap a whole different way.

In five years, where do you see yourself?
I do want to give back to the community a lot. I still want to rap positive. Five years down the road I still want to be the same way I am now. I know it’ll be different, I’ll be traveling. But I still want to be good with the fans.

You turned 15 only a year ago and your debut album will be released in stores later this year. It seems like all your dreams from 15 are coming true. What message do you want to send your fans about dreaming big?
I thought everything would go wrong with me. I just want to make a difference in this world, send a positive message. Show the kids, “look at me, my parents are divorced, I thought I’d be another teenager out there on the streets. I keep my mind straight, I’m not gonna quit.” Don’t give up on your dreams. You have time. When you’re down, you can’t let that keep you from your dreams.

For more on Baby Jay, be sure to check him out on MySpace. Feel free to read the original article here.

No comments:

BlogPlay

Share your links easily.