You Sing, I Write: College Reminiscing

Sunday, September 14, 2008

College Reminiscing

This past week has continually reminded me of why I first decided to become a music writer. While preparing for an edit test, I began paging through various notes from journalism classes I had taken at Rutgers (still in disbelief that it's been over a year since I graduated). I came across one of the first music-related assignments I wrote in my junior year. I still remember the class, it was Professor Fitzpatrick's News Reporting and Writing and while my news writing wasn't the strongest, I took full advantage of writing feature and entertainment-related articles in his class, this specific assignment being no different. We were assigned to write a profile on whomever we wished — politician, entertainer, etc. — and I decided on my favorite artist at the time, Kanye West. When reading through my profile assignment I was thoroughly impressed by my research and could clearly see that even back then, well over two years ago, it was evident that becoming a music journalist was in my future.

Even before interning at MTV News or Rolling Stone, you can see in my earlier articles that this is what I excelled at and had passion for, despite not realizing it for myself at the time. I had always wanted to write thought-provoking, moving pieces as well and partly, I think this is why I love discovering and featuring new bands on my blog. In a way, by me writing about lesser known bands and getting readers interested in listening to a song or checking out their MySpace, I'm making a difference, even if it is in a very small way.

This week I've decided to roll back the clock and post some of my very first music-related articles. Whether it be my first artist profile on Kanye, first concert review or in-depth magazine writing assignment, I hope it gives you a little taste of how it all began and motivates me to keep pursing music writing when the career path isn't always clearly laid out for me.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

sweet. i'm looking forward to these blasts from the past.

Anonymous said...

you hit it spot on.. We need people like you

"by me writing about lesser known bands and getting readers interested in listening to a song or checking out their MySpace, I'm making a difference, even if it is in a very small way."

josh charles

www.joshcharlesmusic.com

BlogPlay

Share your links easily.