You Sing, I Write: Artist to Watch: Findlay Brown + MP3

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Artist to Watch: Findlay Brown + MP3

I recently received a MP3 of Findlay Brown's song "Holding Back the Night" in an email. The song has that classic oldies feel — a mix of doo wop of the 50s and 60s. In fact, I can't help but hear his resemblance to one of my Dad's personal favorites, British-American pop singer Engelbert Humperdinck (don't worry just his stage name, unique I know). And, after reading Findlay's bio I realized my comparisons of his music weren't so far-fetched.

Findlay's upcoming release, Love Will Find You, came together when he was stuck on his sister's couch with a broken leg after being run over by a cab driver. Of the album, he's explained:

"I'd already started going back and listening to a lot of records I'd grown up on, like Elvis Presley, soul music, doo wop, Phil Spector, The Righteous Brothers and the like," Findlay said. "I had an idea about making a modern record influenced by the songwriting of the late 50s and early 60s. I just started writing, trying to work out what made a universally great song, like 'Stand By Me.' These new songs are the first part of that process."

Listen to "Holding Back the Night," a track off his upcoming spring release here.

For more on Findlay be sure to check out his MySpace and if you like what you hear and are in NYC tomorrow, catch his show at Pianos! Be on the look-out for a full album review in the upcoming weeks.

No comments:

BlogPlay

Share your links easily.