You Sing, I Write: R.I.P. Michael Jackson

Friday, June 26, 2009

R.I.P. Michael Jackson

It has been confirmed that Thursday, June 25, Michael Jackson, the King of Pop, passed away at the age of 50. Conflicting reports mentioned a coma, but it has been confirmed that Jackson died of cardiac arrest at 2:26 p.m. PST at the UCLA Medical Center in Los Angeles.

While many may remember Jackson for different aspects of his life and career, it is his role in the music industry that is most pertinent. From his early rise as a child star in popular group, the Jackson 5 to branching out to a solo career, it is his music that inspired many and was the foundation for numerous artists to pursue a music career of their own.

Hundreds of articles are flooding the Internet with obituaries and recaps of his death, but I figured I'd post two that stood out to me. You can read the LA Times piece here and Rolling Stone's recap as well as look through a photo archive of his RS cover stories.

What do you think of Michael Jackson's death? What are some of your favorite songs of his? I still remember the first time I saw the music video for "Thriller" at my cousin's and had nightmares for weeks!

No comments:

BlogPlay

Share your links easily.