You Sing, I Write: Band of the Week: Nikki & Rich

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Band of the Week: Nikki & Rich

Yesterday, a friend invited me to see Nikki & Rich's set at Highline Ballroom. Unfortunately, I couldn't make the trek to NYC, but I gave the band a listen on MySpace and was impressed with what I heard. While they've been dubbed retro pop, the band describes their sound as "Lauryn Hill meets The Supremes while hanging out with Alicia Keys listening to Outkast 'Hey Yah.'" Clever, and pretty accurate. What do you think?

With a soulful 1960s vibe, the duo blends American Bandstand-era pop music with addictive vocals and catchy percussion beats. "Cat and Mouse" is just a glimpse into what is sure to be a successful future for Nikki & Rich. Beginning with music and lyrics from the Shangri-Las' 1965 hit, "Give Him A Great Big Kiss," Nikki Leonti's powerful voice brings to mind Diana Ross' classic singing-style as well as that of contemporary singer-songwriter Duffy.

Singing of her "man-eating game" on "Next Best Thing," Leonti seduces the listener with her deep vocals. "Do you know the reason why I left/I was bored/I'm sorry but it just takes a little more to hold my attention," she sings introducing the song. A tale of not settling and breaking hearts, the story involves a girl who has been scorned. "Nice girls always finish last/A guy wants a bitch so they feel like the man."

The band's music has been featured on Entourage and have critics and fans alike raving. I think we'll be hearing a lot more from this duo in the near future. Take a listen to them on MySpace and watch the videos below to learn more on Nikki & Rich. Keep your ears pealed for an album release later this year.






Related Links:
Band of the Week: The N Result
Artist of the Week: Michael Nappi
Artist of the Week: Akiva
Artist of the Week: David Ryan Harris

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

NIKKI AND RICH ARE REALLY CHANGING MUSIC IN A GREAT AND POSITIVE WAY, I LOVE THEIR MUSIC, CANT WAIT FOR THEM TO REALLY GET OUT THERE.

BlogPlay

Share your links easily.