You Sing, I Write: Supergrass Split After 17 Years

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Supergrass Split After 17 Years



Hailed by music fans and critics alike as one of the most underrated bands of the 90s, after 17 years and six albums, it has been confirmed that Supergrass will officially split after four farewell shows.

NME reports the band was in the middle or recording their seventh LP. No word on whether the album will be released.

“Thanks to everyone who has supported us over the years," said the group in a statement. "We still love each other but, cliché notwithstanding, musical differences have led to us moving on and of course we all wish each other well in the future."

Four farewell shows were announced for June. Tickets go on sale on Friday, April 16 at 9am (BST).

Glasgow Barrowland (June 8)
Manchester Academy (June 9)
London O2 Academy Brixton (June 10)
Paris La Cigalle (June 11)

I had the privilege of interviewing bassist Mick Quinn two years ago in Hollywood while visiting a friend. As part of my trip, she thought we should see a concert (of course!) so I set up an interview with Supergrass and covered the show for MTV's You R Here blog. My first interview on the West Coast, my friends dropped me off at the venue while they took a stroll down Hollywood's Walk of Fame.

I chatted with Quinn about the band's writing process, touring with the Foo Fighters, and recording his favorite Supergrass B-side backwards. Little did I realize, nearly two years later, I'd get an answer that would have me reading between the lines. But, it may provide relief for fans to know that though Supergrass have split, they won't stop making music.


When do you feel will be the time that you’ll think, “Alright, I want to retire”?
I don’t know if I’m going to retire. You could come to the end of Supergrass and what you could do with that, it’d be interesting to branch out and try other things and then maybe come back to Supergrass late in the stage. I’ve always been interested in listening to music certainly, and still very interested in music generally. You get pissed off at things and then you go and see someone else play an amazing gig and it just makes you happy about being alive.

So, maybe Supergrass isn't over after all. What do you think?

For my complete interview with Supergrass, click here. To read my review of their performance at Avalon in Hollywood  July 2008, click here.

No comments:

BlogPlay

Share your links easily.